<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Open Letter to Kim Chong-il, President of North Korea 

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you out of a sense of hope, that our common humanity will bridge any language or cultural barriers that now exist. First of all, let me say, that it is my belief that we, the people of the United States, share a common goal with you. The goal is this: that all the governments of the world ought to strive to provide a safe, nurturing environment in which to live for its citizens and peoples of neighboring states. It is my firm belief that if one could peer into the heart of every human being, one would find this hope.

With that in mind, I would like to personally apologize for the shrill language used by my country's leaders when discussing your country. It is understandable that you have interpreted the language used as vague threats and possible warnings.
It is my belief that the majority of Americans would not wish harm on your country, and would prefer to live in peace. And it is my belief that your country, and mine, can one day be friends. We will have to work hard to achieve this friendship, but it is my belief that it can be accomplished.

As far as the reasons the leaders of my country have chosen to use such incendiary language, it is my belief that their approach is born of fear, and a lack of confidence in their own chosen methods, though I don't believe they would be able to admit this openly.

This is a critical time in history. This time calls for men and women to rise to the occasion and work towards a lasting peace among the peoples of the world. I am fearful that our current leadership is unable, because of faulty beliefs, to do this. Therefore, I am urging you, President Kim Chong-il, to take the lead role in this, and make the first gesture towards peace. You will see many nations and peoples of the world voice their support and approval for this, though you may continue to meet with criticism by the leaders of the United States.

Many citizens of the United States, who long for peace, would support you. I want you to know that our hearts are with the good people of North Korea, and let us all pray for peace.

Sincerely,
Red Onion