<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 17, 2003

I take another swing. 

This is correspondence I am having with another Kucinich supporter, named diamondsoul, regarding Chris Matthews, Dennis Kucinich, and Matthews' comment regarding gay groups. I've included my most recent email to Chris Matthews. Here is the transcript of that show.

diamondsoul,

I think you raised a very good point, and I think this whole flap between Kucinich and Matthews inadvertently left the ball in the anti-abortion court. With what I consider to be illegal detentions, in this country, Guatanamo Bay and now Iraq, and the passage of the Patriot Act, just how would this ban on abortion be enforced?

This is how the Human Life Amendment reads:

"The paramount right to life is vested in each human being from
the moment of fertilization without regard to age, health or condition of
dependency."

Most of the literature I am reading on it suggests it would be left to the states to enforce this. In today's climate, I wouldn't put it past some law
enforcement agency wanting to put women in jail for having abortions. As you said, let's hope this never comes to pass.

Here is another letter I wrote to Matthews today, outlining his remark concerning gays. Keep up the good fight!

Chris Matthews,

I still have not received a response regarding the statement below that you made, outlined in black:

Kweise Mfume was referring to two other no-shows. Dick Gephardt and Dennis Kucinich. Massachusetts Senator John Kerry meanwhile spoke today to another liberal special interest group, the gay rights human rights campaign.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
SENATOR JOHN KERRY (D-MA), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: No conservative Republican would run up the deficits the way they are. No conservative Republican would, in fact, allow the line between church and state to be crossed the way they are. No conservative Republican would allow his attorney general to trample on civil rights the way this one has. I believe that they are extreme.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
MATTHEWS: I don’t know what he is talking about in front of a gay group.

You seem to be suggesting that the "gay rights human rights campaign", is extreme. You did not explain your views. Are you suggesting that human rights for gays is extreme, or an extreme issue? Or are you suggesting that gay groups are extreme? I believe that the comment and the view behind it are worthy of an explanation.

elizabeth cook