<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 23, 2004

What now, folks? 

The greatest problem is feeling that no matter what you do, at this point, if it is a participation in the system, then you are part of the problem. It is back to the old 1960's manrta, if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

I manage a coffeehouse; coffee is part of the problem, unless it is grown pesticide free under shade trees, and the workers are paid adequately. Why dwell on this? Because it is what I do for the money.

It is the globalization of the employment/marketplace. What I drink and sell in the morning affects people and the environment thousands of miles away.

Now it is one thing to be against globalization, and it is another to be against it, and to continue to participate in its functioning, and it is still another concept altogether to be against globalization and to withdraw from participation in its structure and system. And there are various degrees of withdrawing.

Would I ever fly in a plane again?

Would I ever purchase an item from a munti-national chain such as Wal Mart?

Would I give up my car?

I can tell you that the biggest change I have made for myself, most recently, is the near complete elimination of animal products from my diet. I say nearly complete.

Meat tastes vile to me right now, poisonous and putrid. I am thinking of the relaxing of inspection standards in our slaughter houses and packing plants. Beware of meat.

I have decided to take acidopholus tablets, rather than consume yogurt, and the only yogurt I would choose to consume is organic.

I recognize that vegetarianism is not an easy decision for the average family raising children. My sister has three children, her oldest age twelve is a vegetarian. Now my sister must essentially plan two meals. And of course, vegetarianism is best applied when children are very young. (I remember loving my steak growing up. It's taken me a long time in this process).

My best advice to families is to begin simply, and simply begin. Have nuts available on a daily basis, as snackes, instead of processed foods. You'll be amazed at how quickly your children fall in love with peanuts, walnuts, cashews. Roast your own and put less salt on them than the commercially canned varieties.

Start simple. One or two meals per week of beans and brown rice, or macaroni and cheese.

My ultimate goal is: back to the garden; to rely on my gardening for food. I have several friends who desire the same thing; we are searching to find a way to this, as a life-long commitment.